Bristol, Connecticut is a small city located in the northern part of the state. It has a population of approximately 60,000 people, and is spread out over about 20 square miles. The climate in Bristol is mostly temperate during the summer and cold during the winter months. The city enjoys an average of about 40 inches of snowfall each year.
The history of Bristol dates back to 1681, when it was founded by John Hollister Jr. It was an important trading center for many years, and eventually became an industrial center in the 19th century. Today, it is home to many different types of businesses and industries including manufacturing, healthcare, education, and technology.
Politically speaking, Bristol is a Democratic leaning city with most residents voting Democrat in local elections. The economy in Bristol is mostly based around its various industries as well as its location near Hartford and New Haven which have large business centers.
On the education front, Bristol is home to several public schools as well as some private schools such as St Paul Catholic High School and Immanuel Lutheran School. There are also several higher education institutions including Central Connecticut State University (CCSU), Tunxis Community College (TCC), and Goodwin College that offer a variety of degree programs for students looking to further their studies or gain professional skills for their career path.
When it comes to landmarks, there are plenty to explore in Bristol! The most iconic landmark would be Lake Compounce which has been open since 1846 making it America’s oldest continuously operating amusement park! Other notable landmarks include Rockwell Park which offers trails for walking or biking; Memorial Boulevard which runs through downtown; Page Park which offers outdoor activities such as tennis courts; Manross Library; Imagine Nation Children’s Museum; and the New England Carousel Museum which houses over 200 antique carousels from all over the world!
Population: 60,062. Estimated population in July 2020: 61,353 (+2.1% change)
Males: 29,041 (48.4%), Females: 31,021 (51.6%)
Median resident age: 37.6 years
Median household income: $47,422
Median house value: $129,300
Races in Bristol:
- White Non-Hispanic (89.3%)
- Hispanic (5.3%)
- Black (2.7%)
- Other race (2.4%)
- Two or more races (1.6%)
- American Indian (0.7%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: Italian (21.0%), French (18.5%), Irish (15.2%), Polish (12.8%), German (10.1%), English (8.0%).
Elevation: 289 feet
Land area: 26.5 square miles
Bristol, Connecticut is a small city located in the central part of the state. The population of Bristol is estimated to be around 60,000 people. The city has a diverse population with people from many different backgrounds and nationalities. According to the most recent census, the largest racial/ethnic group in Bristol is White (81.2%), followed by Hispanic/Latino (8.5%), Black/African American (4.0%), and Asian (1.8%). The median household income for Bristol is $59,922 and the poverty rate stands at 11%.
Bristol is home to many educational institutions including Tunxis Community College, Central Connecticut State University, and University of Hartford-Bristol Campus. Additionally, there are several major employers in the area including ESPN headquarters, Pratt & Whitney Aircraft Engines, and Barnes Group Incorporated. Furthermore, Bristol has several shopping centers such as Westfarms Mall and Southington Plaza Shopping Center that offer numerous retail stores and restaurants for residents to enjoy. All these factors contribute towards making Bristol a great place to live and work in Connecticut.
For population 25 years and over in Bristol
- High school or higher: 80.8%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 16.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.4%
- Unemployed: 4.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 22.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Bristol city
- Never married: 26.6%
- Now married: 53.3%
- Separated: 1.3%
- Widowed: 7.5%
- Divorced: 11.3%
7.8% Foreign born (3.3% Europe, 2.1% North America, 1.2% Latin America, 1.1% Asia).
Population change in the 1990s: -559 (-0.9%).
Hospital/medical center in Bristol:
- BRISTOL HOSPITAL (BREWSTER RD)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Bristol:
- BRADLEY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL & HEALTH CTR (about 7 miles; SOUTHINGTON, CT)
- JOHN DEMPSEY HOSPITAL (about 8 miles; FARMINGTON, CT)
- HOSPITAL FOR SPECIAL CARE (about 11 miles; NEW BRITAIN, CT)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Bristol:
- HARTFORD-BRAINARD (about 20 miles; HARTFORD, CT; Abbreviation: HFD)
- BRADLEY INTL (about 26 miles; WINDSOR LOCKS, CT; Abbreviation: BDL)
- TWEED-NEW HAVEN (about 30 miles; NEW HAVEN, CT; Abbreviation: HVN)
Other public-use airports nearest to Bristol:
- ROBERTSON FIELD (about 6 miles; PLAINVILLE, CT; Abbreviation: 4B8)
- MOUNTAIN MEADOW AIRSTRIP (about 8 miles; BURLINGTON, CT; Abbreviation: 22B)
- WATERBURY (about 8 miles; WATERBURY, CT; Abbreviation: N41)
Amtrak stations near Bristol:
- 13 miles: BERLIN (KENSINGTON, DEPOT RD.). Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
- 14 miles: MERIDEN (60 STATE ST.). Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
- 18 miles: WALLINGFORD (37 HALL AVE.). Services: partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public payphones, free short-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service.
According to andyeducation, Connecticut has the following colleges and schools:
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Bristol:
- CENTRAL CONNECTICUT STATE UNIVERSITY (about 11 miles; NEW BRITAIN, CT; Full-time enrollment: 8,967)
- NAUGATUCK VALLEY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 13 miles; WATERBURY, CT; Full-time enrollment: 2,834)
- UNIVERSITY OF HARTFORD (about 15 miles; WEST HARTFORD, CT; Full-time enrollment: 5,557)
- MANCHESTER COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 17 miles; MANCHESTER, CT; Full-time enrollment: 2,863)
- TRINITY COLLEGE (about 18 miles; HARTFORD, CT; Full-time enrollment: 2,056)
- QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY (about 19 miles; HAMDEN, CT; Full-time enrollment: 5,836)
- WESLEYAN UNIVERSITY (about 21 miles; MIDDLETOWN, CT; Full-time enrollment: 2,993)
Public high schools in Bristol:
- BRISTOL CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,439; Location: 480 WOLCOTT ST.; Grades: 09 – 12)
- BRISTOL EASTERN HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,361; Location: 632 KING ST.; Grades: 09 – 12)
- HOMEBOUND (Students: 6; Location: 129 CHURCH STREET; Grades: 10 – 12)
Private high schools in Bristol:
- ST PAUL CATHOLIC HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 448; Location: 1001 STAFFORD AVE; Grades: 6 – 12)
- HERITAGE CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 55; Location: 48 LEWIS STREET; Grades: KG – 12)
Biggest public primary/middle schools in Bristol:
- CHIPPENS HILL MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 977; Location: 551 PEACEDALE ST.; Grades: 06 – 08)
- NORTHEAST MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 580; Location: 530 STEVENS ST.; Grades: 06 – 08)
- SOUTH SIDE SCHOOL (Students: 566; Location: TUTTLE RD.; Grades: PK – 05)
- MEMORIAL BOULEVARD MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 549; Location: 70 MEMORIAL BLVD.; Grades: 06 – 08)
- ELLEN P. HUBBELL SCHOOL (Students: 538; Location: 90 WEST WASHINGTON ST.; Grades: PK – 05)
- STAFFORD SCHOOL (Students: 433; Location: 212 LOUISIANA AVE.; Grades: PK – 05)
- EDGEWOOD SCHOOL (Students: 406; Location: 345 MIX ST.; Grades: KG – 05)
- IVY DRIVE SCHOOL (Students: 393; Location: 160 IVY DR.; Grades: PK – 05)
- JOHN J. JENNINGS SCHOOL (Students: 375; Location: 291 BURLINGTON AVE.; Grades: PK – 05)
- CLARA T. O’CONNELL SCHOOL (Students: 373; Location: 120 PARK ST.; Grades: PK – 05)
Private primary/middle schools in Bristol:
- ST JOSEPH (Students: 382; Location: 335 CENTER ST; Grades: PK – 8)
- ST ANTHONY SCHOOL (Students: 303; Location: 30 PLEASANT STREET; Grades: PK – 8)
- IMMANUEL LUTHERAN SCHOOL (Students: 195; Location: 154 MEADOW ST; Grades: PK – 8)
- LIBERTY BAPTIST CHILD CARE (Students: 33; Location: 265 MAPLE AVENUE; Grades: PK – KG)
Library in Bristol:
- BRISTOL PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $1,484,758; Location: 5 HIGH ST.; 147,806 books; 3,662 audio materials; 4,225 video materials; 313 serial subscriptions)