Broad Brook, Connecticut is a small town located in Hartford County. The population of Broad Brook was 7,940 according to the 2020 census. It is situated on the Farmington River and the area is mostly rural with rolling hills and forests. The climate in Broad Brook is typical of the Northeast with warm summers and cold winters.
The town’s history dates back to colonial times when it was part of Windsor, Connecticut. In 1845, Broad Brook became an independent town and has remained so ever since. Politically, Broad Brook leans slightly Republican but it has seen a shift towards more progressive politics in recent years.
The economy of Broad Brook is largely based on agriculture and light manufacturing industries such as plastics and metalworking. The town also benefits from its proximity to Hartford, which provides easy access to other employment opportunities for its residents.
As far as education goes, there are two elementary schools in the area – one public school (Broad Brook Elementary School) and one private school (St Mary’s School). There are also several daycare centers throughout the town for younger children.
Broad Brook has many historic landmarks that help define its character including an old mill dating back to 1790, an old train station built in 1874, a former gristmill built in 1795 that now serves as a museum, and several churches including St Mary’s Roman Catholic Church which was established in 1868. In addition to these historic sites there are also several parks located throughout the town including Park Street Park which features a playground and picnic area as well as walking trails around the pond.
Males: 1,676 (48.3%), Females: 1,793 (51.7%)
Median resident age: 36.9 years
Median household income: $50,417
Median house value: $157,100
Races in Broad Brook:
- White Non-Hispanic (90.7%)
- Black (4.4%)
- Hispanic (2.2%)
- Two or more races (1.2%)
- Other race (1.0%)
- Other Asian (0.6%)
Ancestries: Irish (16.1%), French (15.2%), Polish (13.5%), Italian (13.1%), English (12.7%), German (10.7%).
Elevation: 90 feet
Land area: 5.9 square miles
Broad Brook, Connecticut is a small town located in the northeast corner of the state. Its population is estimated to be around 3,000 people. The majority of the population is Caucasian, with a small percentage of African-American and Hispanic residents. The median age for residents is about 40 years old, with a gender split close to 50/50.
The town has an average household size of three people and most households are owner-occupied. Many families have lived in Broad Brook for generations, passing down their traditions from one generation to the next. The town has an excellent school system that serves its students well, with high graduation rates and college preparation opportunities. There are also many churches throughout Broad Brook that serve as centers for community activity and involvement.
The town’s economy is largely driven by its local businesses and industries, including manufacturing, agriculture, retail stores and services such as health care providers and financial institutions. There is also some tourism activity in the area due to its proximity to larger cities such as Hartford and New Haven. Residents enjoy outdoor activities such as hiking at nearby parks or fishing on Long Island Sound. In general, Broad Brook offers a safe environment for families who want to live in a rural setting but still have access to modern amenities such as shopping centers or entertainment venues within a short drive away.
For population 25 years and over in Broad Brook
- High school or higher: 85.0%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 21.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 7.6%
- Unemployed: 4.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 27.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Broad Brook CDP
- Never married: 23.1%
- Now married: 56.6%
- Separated: 0.8%
- Widowed: 6.1%
- Divorced: 13.5%
2.8% Foreign born (1.2% Europe, 0.7% Latin America, 0.5% Africa, 0.4% North America).
Hospitals/medical centers near Broad Brook:
- ROCKVILLE GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 8 miles; ROCKVILLE, CT)
- MANCHESTER MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 10 miles; MANCHESTER, CT)
- REHABILITATION HOSPITAL OF CT, INC (about 14 miles; HARTFORD, CT)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Broad Brook:
- BRADLEY INTL (about 9 miles; WINDSOR LOCKS, CT; Abbreviation: BDL)
- HARTFORD-BRAINARD (about 15 miles; HARTFORD, CT; Abbreviation: HFD)
- WESTOVER ARB/METROPOLITAN (about 19 miles; SPRINGFIELD/CHICOPEE, MA; Abbreviation: CEF)
Other public-use airports nearest to Broad Brook:
- SKYLARK AIRPARK (about 2 miles; WAREHOUSE POINT, CT; Abbreviation: 7B6)
- ELLINGTON (about 7 miles; ELLINGTON, CT; Abbreviation: 7B9)
- SIMSBURY (about 16 miles; SIMSBURY, CT; Abbreviation: 4B9)
Amtrak stations near Broad Brook:
- 6 miles: WINDSOR LOCKS (S. MAIN ST. (RTE. 159)). Services: public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
- 8 miles: WINDSOR (41 CENTRAL ST.). Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, free short-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
- 14 miles: HARTFORD (1 UNION PLACE). Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, full-service food facilities, snack bar, vending machines, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
According to educationvv, Connecticut is home to the following higher educational institutes:
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Broad Brook:
- SPRINGFIELD TECHNICAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 13 miles; SPRINGFIELD, MA; Full-time enrollment: 4,026)
- SPRINGFIELD COLLEGE (about 15 miles; SPRINGFIELD, MA; Full-time enrollment: 4,176)
- MANCHESTER COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 15 miles; MANCHESTER, CT; Full-time enrollment: 2,863)
- WESTERN NEW ENGLAND COLLEGE (about 16 miles; SPRINGFIELD, MA; Full-time enrollment: 3,285)
- TRINITY COLLEGE (about 16 miles; HARTFORD, CT; Full-time enrollment: 2,056)
- UNIVERSITY OF HARTFORD (about 17 miles; WEST HARTFORD, CT; Full-time enrollment: 5,557)
- HOLYOKE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 21 miles; HOLYOKE, MA; Full-time enrollment: 3,747)
Public primary/middle school in Broad Brook:
- EAST WINDSOR MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 500; Location: 38 MAIN ST.; Grades: 05 – 08)